Posted: Friday 3rd March 2023

Tigers defeated by Warriors in Round 3

The Tigers fought bravely at The Mend-A-Hose Jungle, but couldn’t find the win, losing 36-0 to Wigan Warriors.

wigan header.jpg

The Tigers fought bravely at The Mend-A-Hose Jungle, but couldn’t find the win, losing 36-0 to Wigan Warriors. 


Cas looked to threaten in the opening stages at Wheldon Road. A big carry from Kenny Edwards was followed by a penalty for a late hit on McShane, who is making his 200th appearance for Castleford. The Tigers were then awarded a six again for an infringement at the ruck, but a long pass out wide is too high for the jumping Eden and the ball went to touch. 


It was then the Tigers turn to defend. After a six again call, this time in the visitors favour they were in range and ready to pounce. Mike Cooper went for the line but was held up over the line forcing them to play on 10m. They spread wide but French couldn’t gather, and the Tigers regained possession and quelled the Warriors offense. 


In a fantastic few minutes for the Fords, it was them that came close and probably should have been in front. Fonua hit Isa and the ball came loose. Miller picked the pocket of Isa and came away with the ball. Vete went close but was just short, as was Broadbent after a fantastic kick from Widdop. Miller kicked on the last after yet another six again but the ball rolled dead. 


Another loose carry from the visitors shortly after and the ball was again in Cas hands. They looked to go one better through Mellor, who was hit high and given another penalty. A pre-planned Tigers move saw the ball go to ground, and Wigan regain the ball and relieve the pressure. 


Brilliant work once again from Broadbent who took three drives in a single set before scooping up a ball in goal when Wigan looked to counter and got free of his own in-goal area. A penalty then followed for the Tigers to get them out of their own 20 metres but the ball was turned over after brilliant metres made. However, after half an hour the game was still scoreless. 


A massive hit from Liam Watts left a Wigan player down. Marshall broke through but the referee of all people halted his progress before Faraimo brought him down. The Wigan players saw something they didn’t like and both sets of players came together. 


The Tigers came incredibly close to opening the scoring with five minutes left of the first half. After a huge hit from Adam Milner that left the ground shaking, Wigan kicked on the last but was caught in-goal by Faraimo. After three fantastic drives, Cas looked to go left but Fonua’s ball towards Eden found touch. 


Despite a strong half from Cas, Wigan had the first points. A run across field from Field found Marshall unmarked and he dotted down. Smith however, couldn’t add the extras. He did add two more points just a minute later after a penalty on the half time hooter meaning that the visitors lead 6-0 at the break. 


There was no long wait for points in the second half with Wigan going over just three minutes. A Kick backwards found French who ran wide and kicked forward. A ricochet off a Cas man found Havard who dotted down under the posts. 

Castleford were pegged back further after being penalised in their own 40m. Smith opted to go for goal and was successful extending their lead to 14. 

The Tigers needed a way back into the game with 26 minutes to play. After a brilliant carry from Westerman, Miller kicked in behind to force a drop out. However hope turned to despair for the Tigers after an attempted pass wide from Widdop was intercepted by Marshall on his own 10 metre line and ran the length of the field to score. 


Kenny Edwards was hit late with a bad tackle that the ref saw nothing wrong with. He let go of the ball as he was clearly in pain and the ref deemed that he’d knocked on. He was then sent from the field by way of a green card after being attended to by the doctor. 


Cas were in range of finding their first points of the contest 10 minutes from time. Nathan Massey smashed his way over and grounded the ball. The referee said no and penalised Mass for double movement. 

Wigan gained possession after a ball went to ground from the Tigers. The ball looked to have gone backwards, however the referee didn’t see it that way. From the first tackle of the scrum, King found a gap and scored under the uprights.  A break from Harry Smith who had full back Field on his inside and a drop off ball gave him an easy try to being the defecit to 32.

The scoring was rounded off seconds to go as Marshall was allowed to get his hattrick. He beat Mellor on the right edge and raced away.


FULL TIME: Castleford Tigers 0-32 Wigan Warriors


Castleford Tigers: Evalds, Eden, Fonua, Broadbent, Faraimo, Widdop, Miller, Vete, McShane, Lawler, Edwards, Mellor, Westerman 

Interchanges: Massey, Watts, Milner, Matagi 

18th Man: Smith 


Wigan Warriors: Field, French, King, Wardle, Marshall, Cust, Smith, Singleton, Powell, Cooper,  Isa, Farrell, Smithies. 

Interchanges:  Ellis, Havard, Mago, Pearce-Paul. 

18th man: O’Neill 




Castleford Tigers: 




Wigan Warriors: 

Tries: Marshall 3, Havard, King, Field

Goals: Smith 4/6 

Penalty Goals: 2/2 


Golden Gamble Winning number: 02526