Posted: Friday 24th March 2023

Defeat for the Tigers in Round 6

Castleford fell to defeat at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle against Warrington.

wire report header.png

Castleford fell to defeat at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle against Warrington. In rainy and windy conditions, the visitors ran out 38-0 winners. 


Cas had the first meaningful attack of the game five minutes in. A scoot from McShane broke the line with just Dufty to beat, but Qareqare in support. Macca opted to kick towards the corner to threaten, but the bounce of the ball allowed Dufty to ground in goal and forced a drop out. 

It was the visitors who put the first points on the board after 8 minutes. After getting into Cas territory, they were awarded a penalty in close range. On tackle two, a short ball from former Cas man Daryl Clark found Kasiano who crashed over under the posts. 

Castleford had a few chances to attack inside Warrington’s 20 metres, with an effort left side from Faraimo who was held up over the line and on the last when McSahne went blind side, Broadbent was into touch just short of the line.  

Castleford shot themselves in the foot halfway into the opening 40. A misplaced pass on their own line allowed Russell to ground in the corner despite the chase from Qareqare.  

Warrington were in again just a minute later. After the kick off, Ashton broke down the left but was Caught by Eden. Matau’tia took the ball from acting half and hit Mikaele with a flat pass and he went in to score.  

The visitors scored again 5 minutes from the break. A six again call in Wire’s favour got them inside 10m.  A long pass wide on the last from Dufty, found Russell on the wing to ground. 

A tough first half for the Tigers, who went in at the break 24-0 down. 


Eden came closest in the opening stages of the first half. Adam Milner, who played in his 300th career game tonight, ripped the ball from Dudson and got the Tigers on the offensive. A kick on the last by Widdop bounced, and Eden knocked the ball forward, but couldn’t regather it 10 metres out. 

The opening points of the second half went the way of the visitors. A shot ball from the hooker found Vaughan who crashed over from close range. 

Warrington scored two tries in 5 minutes. The first from George Willams who scooted over from dummy half, and the second from Dufty who was available for an inside ball to score under the posts. 

The Tigers looked for a consolation try down the left through Faraimo and Broadbent but couldn’t find a breakthrough. 

With just a minute to go, the Tigers got a penalty in front of the posts. The swung the ball left to right and Faraimo looked for the line. After attempting to reach for the grounding, lost possession of the ball. 


In awful conditions, it was a tough night for the Tigers at Wheldon Road who lose out at home. 


FULL TIME: Castleford Tigers 0-38 Warrington Wolves 



Castleford Tigers: Eden, Faraimo, Broadbent, Turner, Qareqare, Widdop, Miller, Massey, McShane, Smith, Milner, Mellor, Westerman 

Interchanges: Griffin, Edwards, Vete, Watts 

18th Man: Alex Sutcliffe 


Warrington Wolves: Dufty, Minikin, Ratchford, Matautia, Ashton, Williams, Drinkwater, Mikaele, Clark, Vaughan, Currie, Nicholson, Kasiano 

Interchanges: Philbin, Walker, Thomas, Whitehead 

18th Man: Tom Whitehead 



Castleford Tigers: 




Warrington Wolves:  

Tries: Kasiano, Russell 2, Mikaele, Vaughan, Dufty, Williams 

Goals: Ratchford 4/6 


Attendance: 7348 

Golden Gamble: 07872