Posted: Sunday 21st May 2023

Fords defeated in Challenge Cup

The Tigers crashed out of the Challenge Cup after defeat to Hull FC at Wheldon Road

cc report 1.jpg

The Tigers crashed out of the Challenge Cup after defeat to Hull FC at Wheldon Road. 


2 minutes into the game, Hull FC thought they had scored the opening points of the contest. After the Tigers came close through Tate down the left, they put it through hands and looked to attack. Westerman saw the ball ripped from his clutches by Clifford who ran the length of the field to score. However, after it was sent up to video referee Ben Thaler, he ruled it out, deeming that there were two FC players involved. 

Cas came close from the resulting penalty. After Broadbent’s kick through was put down by Liam Sutcliffe, the Fords had a fresh set. After looking left, Turner’s pass to an unmarked Tate, found touch. 

With 8 minutes played, the visitors did break the deadlock. A flat ball from Hoy found Griffin, brother of Tigers man George, and he strolled in for the first points of the game. 

Cas were in range with 23 minutes on the clock. A fantastic line break from Matagi who had McShane on his inside. He popped the ball up to the skipper who made more ground before offloading to Martin. The kick on the last went to ground by the visitors but the ref waved play on and FC were let off the hook on that occasion.  

FC were further in front 15 minutes short of half time. A low kick bounced off a Tigers man and back into the hands of Jake Clifford. He had Swift on his outside and sent the winger in at the corner. 

The Black and Whites were in again on the half hour mark. Swift with his second of the afternoon. Another switch of play from Hull after shifting the ball right to left, and Swift dived in at the corner. After consultation from the video referee, the try was awarded. 

Just two minutes later, after a break from Griffin, who found Clifford with an inside ball, despite being caught by Robb, the ball was passed to Brown from the floor. Brown ran in to extend the lead to 22 points. 

The Tigers did get on the board 2 minutes from the end of the half. A neat move from the middles and halves saw some trickery that found Alex Sutcliffe. Sutty had Fonua free on his outside and after a perfect pass, Fonua dived in and dotted down. Referee Liam Moore had it checked by the video ref, but it was all good and Cas had their first Try of the game. 

The Tigers went in at the break 18 points behind but with some positive signs to take from the first 40. 



4 minutes after the interval, Jordan Lane got a try for FC. Cas were penalised while in possession for a shove by Griffin when standing up to play the ball. That was followed by a high shot from Turner. Hoy made a pass to his second rower in the resulting set, and Lane bounced off a Fords’ defender and dotted down in the corner.  

After a 16 minute lull in the game, FC scored again. After George Lawler went on a barrelling run towards the line, the ball came free and found the hands of Swift, 5 metres from his own line. He broke through and almost ran the length of the field, until Tate caught him. Two plays later, Clifford saw Swift out wide with nobody in front of him and missed out two men to pass wide giving Swift his hat-trick after he went over at a canter. 

A special moment for Will Tate who arrived at the Jungle from today’s visitors’ city rivals, Hull KR with 11 to play. His first Try for the club came after he hit a brilliant line and cut inside to go over and give Cas their second of the afternoon. 

Josh Griffin saw yellow for dissent with 6 to play. The FC second rower looked to have grounded the ball but the referee gave a knock on, to which he doesn’t agree with. After exchanging words with referee Liam Moore, Hull’s number 23 was sent for a sit down for the remainder of the contest. 

The last action of the fixture saw Scott go in at the corner for Hull FC. After consulting the video referee over the grounding and the touchline, video referee Ben Thaler  


FULL TIME: Castleford Tigers 8-32 Hull FC 




Castleford Tigers: 

Tries: Fonua, Tate 

Goals: McShane 0/1  

Hookem 0/1 


Hull FC:  

Tries: Griffin, Swift 3, Brown, Lane 

Goals: Clifford 4/6 

Sin Bin: J.Griffin 


Castleford Tigers: Broadbent, Fonua, Sutcliffe, Turner, Tate, Westerman, McShane, Massey, Lawler, Matagi, Martin, Mellor, Hall 

Interchanges: Robb, Hookem, Mustapha, Grifin 

18th man: Hill 


Hull FC: Hoy, Swift, L.Sutcliffe, Tuimavave, Scott, Trueman, Clifford, Fash, Houghton, Satae, J.Griffin, Lane, Cator 

Interchanges: Brown, Gardiner, Staveley, Dwyer 


Attendance: 4249 

Golden Gamble: 05877