Posted: Friday 5th April 2024

Terrific Tigers defeat the Devils

Castleford Tigers got their first win of the season with a 36-24 victory over the Salford Red Devils


It was a windy affair as the Tigers hosted the Red Devils, skipper Paul McShane pulled out in the warmup due to injury he was replaced by Cain Robb.


Jack Broadbent got the fixture underway with a high boot which was safely collected by Salford, the teams were safely getting themselves into the game as they went set for set.


Within 5 minutes Cas had their first chance down the left side through a Richardson kick, unfortunately the halfback’s boot had too much on it and rolled into touch.


Moments later a penalty for a ball steal was given to the Salford side, Marc Sneyd took it upon himself to take the two points putting Salford ahead.


Ryan Brierley got himself on the board just after the 10-minute mark when Deon Cross broke through the line and Brierley was there to receive the 2 on 1 pass.


It didn’t take long before the Fords bounced back when an incredible effort saw Innes Senior shrug off multiple defenders and rush 80 metres.


Amir Borough was sent to the sin bin after 20 minutes when a tip tackle left Alex Mellor on the floor, the poor tackle resulted in a correct yellow card.


Sammy Hall crashed over moments later putting the Tigers in front, a quality pass from Kibula put the prop forward over the line.


With 10 remaining Innes Senior was at the double, a break from Liam Horne was followed up by a pinpoint Miller kick that found Senior in the corner.


Salford got themselves back in the game after a Tigers error from a dropout, Richardson’s kick bounced out on the full and Lafai dived over seconds later.


A great 40 minutes from the Tigers saw them go into the half 18-14 leaders at the break.


Salford were the first to get on the board in the second half when a scrum play saw Nene Macdonald run the length of the field to level the scores, Sneyd’s kick from the touchline then put Salford 2 points ahead.


The Red Devils extended their lead when a short pass allowed Joe Shorrocks to break through the line, an offload from Shorrocks then found the hands of Brierley who dived over in front of the traveling Salford support.


Cas were inches away from levelling the game when Elie El Zakhem broke through the line his flick pass unfortunately just went in front of Simm and bounced out of play.


Innes Senior completed his hat trick in fine fashion down the left edge, beating players for pace and shrugging off Brierley to dive over in front of the Wheldon Road end.


Just minutes later Cas got themselves ahead, Brad Martin the scorer from his own half as Cain Robb found him from a quick play of the ball.

The Fords caught Salford offside from a scrum play, referee Chris Kendall gave the penalty and Danny Richardson put Cas 8 points ahead with the 2 points.


Innes Senior sealed the game for the Tigers with 3 minutes to play, his fourth try on the left side, a top performance for the winger.


A first win for the Tigers against the Salford Red Devils, a quality effort from Cas on both ends of the field.

















Castleford Tigers: Jack Broadbent, Josh Simm, Josh Hodson, Sam Wood, Innes Senior, Danny Richardson, Jacob Miller, Sam Hall, Liam Horne, Liam Watts, Alex Mellor, Elie El-Zakhem, Joe Westerman.




Interchanges: Cain Robb, Sylvester Namo, Brad Martin, Samy Kibula


18th Man: Luis Johnson


Tries: Senior x3, Hall, Martin


Conversions: Richardson x5


Penalty Goal: Richardson



Salford Red Devils: Ryan Brierley, David Nofoaluma, Nene Macdonald, Tim Lafai,  Deon Cross, Cade Cust, Marc Sneyd, Jack Ormondroyd, Amir Bourouh, Shane Wright, Sam Stone, Kallum Watkins, Olly Partington.


Interchanges: King Vuniyayawa, Joe Shorrocks, Chris Atkin, Joe Mellor.


18th man: Andrew Dixon.


Tries: Brierley x2, Lafai, Macdonald,


Conversions: Sneyd x3


Penalty Goal: Sneyd


Sin Bin: Bourouh


Golden Gamble: 02474