Posted: Sunday 14th April 2024

Tigers defeated in Challenge Cup Quarter Final.

Sunday afternoon saw the Tigers host the current world champions, Wigan Warriors in the Challenge Cup Quarter Final.


Sunday afternoon saw the Tigers host the current world champions, Wigan Warriors in the Challenge Cup Quarter Final.


Harry Smith got the tie underway with a high boot which was successfully collected by the Tigers.


Liam Marshall struck first for the Warriors after 4 minutes to put the Wigan side ahead, the winger danced past the Castleford defenders and dotted over in the corner.


It wasn’t long until they hit again when Brad O’Neill bumped Jacob Miller off and broke through the line. A one two pass between the hooker and Keighran allowed O’Neil to dive over.


The onslaught continued just when Cas thought they’d found momentum through Jack Broadbent. However, opposition halfback Bevan French managed to strip the ball and dive over himself.


Cas looked to apply pressure to the Warriors but a loose pass from Westerman stopped them in their tracks. Moments later, Liam Marshall followed up on a Jake Wardle break down the left edge to get his second of the day.


Willie Isa’s dropped ball allowed Cas to have a chance at attacking the Wigan line, a poor last tackle kick from Jack Broadbent allowed Wigan to get off the hook. Jai Field showed his class out the back when a cut out pass found Adam Keighran who put the Warriors 28 points in front after 25 minutes.


Innes Senior nearly put a little bit of hope back in the Tigers with a 90 metre break, unfortunately Bevan French was there to track him down just short of the line.  


Play was halted with 12 minutes to play in the first half as Willie Isa left the field on the stretcher, we wish him the speediest of the recoveries.


Cas got their first points on the board through Innes Senior, the winger pounced on a Broadbent kick to score for the Tigers. 


The Fords went into the break 6-28 behind, a much better last 10 minute display however not enough to be in front after a poor start.


Abbas Miski opened his account after 5 minutes of the second half, multiple penalties and six again’s allowed the Warriors to maintain possession on the Tigers line.


Another try came within seconds for the Warriors, Junior Nsemba broke through the line after a short pass from French, Nsemba found Leeming who dived over in front of the travelling Wigan supporters.


Liam Marshall completed his hat trick in 50 minutes to put Wigan 42 points to 6 in front.


The flying winger Liam Marshall dotted down for his fourth when a Bevan French cut out pass allowed him to dive over without a defender in sight.


A scrum play allowed Jake Wardle to get his first of the afternoon, poor defence from Cas and the centre burst through the line.


A minute later Abbas Miski skipped past a rushing Innes Senior to score his second try.


With 2 minutes to play forward, Tyler Dupree scored under the posts after he received a short pass from Harry Smith



A poor display from the Tigers against a strong Wigan Warriors side.














Castleford Tigers: Jack Broadbent, Josh Hodson, Charbel Tasipale, Sam Wood, Innes Senior, Danny Richardson, Jacob Miller, Luis Johnson, Liam Horne, Samy Kibula, Alex Mellor, Elie El Zakhem, Joe Westerman.


Interchanges: Sylvester Namo, Cain Robb, Brad Martin, Daniel Hindmarsh Takyi


18th man: George Hill


Tries: Senior

Conversions: Richardson




Wigan Warriors: Jai Field, Abbas Miski, Adam Keighran, Jake Wardle, Liam Marshall, Bevan French, Harry Smith, Luke Thompson, Brad O’Neil, Tyler Dupree, Willie Isa, Liam Farrell, Kaide Ellis.


Interchanges: Patrick Mago, Kruise Leeming, Harvie Hill, Junior Nsemba.


18th man: Zach Eckersley


Tries: Marshall x4, O’Neill, French, Keighran, Miski x2, Leeming, Wardle, Dupree

Conversions: Smith x6



Attendance: 4097


Golden Gamble: 07116