Posted: Friday 19th April 2024

Tigers suffer defeat away at Wigan.

The Tigers suffered a 36-14 loss away to the Wigan Warriors.


It was Harry Smith that got the tie underway at The DW Stadium which was safely collected by Innes Senior.


The first error came 3 minutes in from Josh Hodson who failed to play the ball, Wigan nearly took advantage as a cut out pass was fired by Bevan French but Louis Senior was there to knock it down.


Charbel Tasipale had to leave the field after less than 10 minutes after a collision with Junior Nsemba. Tasiaple lost the ball after going down injured, referee James Vella gave scrum down and Wigan took the advantage.


Liam Farrell broke the line and tipped the ball to Bevan French who dived over in the corner, Adam Keighran then slotted the two points from touch.


Wigan looked to play some off the cuff rugby on the last but were picked off by Rowan Milnes, a quality offload then found Louis Senior who rushed 80 metres to score on his Tigers debut.


The Warriors were the side with the possession with 15 minutes to go having multiple attacking sets on the Tigers line but the defensive attitude of the Fords in the first half couldn’t be anything but praised.


However, it was too much to hold out as brilliance from Harry Smith found Liam Marshall in the corner with a chip into the corner to put Wigan 6 points ahead.


Wigan once more looked to cause issues on the last with a kick but Elie El Zakhem charged the ball down and ran 40 metres, Cas then looked to shift the ball wide through Sam Wood. The oncoming defenders were ill disciplined however as a high shot allowed the Tigers to take the extra two points going into the half.


It only took Wigan 3 minutes to go even further ahead when an inside ball found Bevan French who broke through the line and the 2v1 pass allowed Ryan Hampshire to dive over under the posts.


Minutes later Hampshire went over for his second when Liam Marshalls reverse kick back in play allowed the halfback to put Wigan further in front.


Fatigue started to show for the Tigers with 20 minutes to go as multiple stints on their own line led to Wigan points. A fired pass from Farrell out wide found Marshall who got his second of the night.



Bevan French put in another quality performance for the Warriors as he set up another try in the corner, this time a kick in behind found Abbas Miski who dotted down with less than 10 minutes to go.


It was the Tigers who hit last through Rowan Milnes, the halfback chased his own grubber that was spilled by Harry Smith allowing himself to get over on the last play of the game.


A tough night for the Tigers over in Wigan but a well fought effort at the end.











Wigan Warriors: Bevan French, Abbas Miski, Adam Keighran, Jake Wardle, Liam Marshall, Ryan Hampshire, Harry Smith, Luke Thompson, Kruise Leeming, Tyler Dupree, Junior Nsemba, Liam Farrell, Kaide Ellis.


Interchanges: Mike Cooper, Patrick Mago, Harvie Hill, Zach Eckersley.


Tries: French, Marshall x2, Hampshire x2, Miski


Conversions: Keighran x2, Smith x3



Castleford Tigers: Jack Broadbent, Louis Senior, Josh Hodson, Sam Wood, Innes Senior, Rowan Milnes, Jacob Miller, Liam Watts, Liam Horne, Sam Hall, Charbel Tasipale, Elie El Zakhem, George Hill.


Interchanges: Cain Robb, Brad Martin, Samy Kibula, Daniel Hindmarsh-Takyi.


Tries: L.Senior, Milnes


Conversions: Milnes x2


Penalty Goals: Milnes